Are you planning your wedding but have no idea where to start? Then this blog post is for you!
The wedding planning process can be overwhelming, especially if you've never done it before. That's why I've put together a typical wedding timeline to help you get started and adapt it to your own unique wedding plans.
Firstly, as a couple, sit down and discuss your perfect wedding to get on the same page. Next, create a rough guest list and pick potential wedding dates to avoid any clashes. After that, look around and book your wedding venue and send out Save The Dates. Also, research and take out wedding insurance.
If you're considering a photographer, make sure their final product aligns with your vision, and their editing style suits your taste. Also, consider their packages, coverage, and whether they offer bespoke packages or second shooters.
Here is a timeline for a 12-month engagement/planning time frame to help you research and book:
12+ Months Before
- Book your photographer and/or videographer
- Consider your entertainment, and whether you want a live band
- Attend a cake-tasting session and get an idea of your perfect wedding cake
- Research into your venue decor and possibly a venue stylist
- If you need a caterer, research, book, and discuss menu options
- Enlist your wedding party
- Book your hair and make-up artist
- Start the dress hunt!
9-10 Months Before
- Book your entertainment
- Research any nearby accommodation for guests if necessary
- Research and contact any decor hire companies if you need to rent tables or chairs for the ceremony/reception
- Order your wedding cake
- Book your wedding florist
- Book your honeymoon (and check the dates on your passports…)
6-8 Months Before
- Choose and order your wedding dress (with plenty of time for alterations)
- Order your wedding cake
- Get your best man and maid of honour to start planning those stag and hen parties
- Start looking into bridesmaids' dresses
- Buy your wedding accessories – veil, jewellery, lingerie, shoes, etc.
4-6 Months Before
- Buy your bridesmaids dresses
- Shop for the groom’s suit
- Rent (or buy) suits for the groomsmen
- Choose and buy your wedding rings
- Sort out your wedding night accommodation if necessary
- Plan out your order of service and any readings, hymns, or poems you might want
- If you're having a wedding gift list, set it up
- Sort out wedding favours
2-3 Months Before
- If you're writing your vows, start them now
- Order (or make, if you're more of a DIY Bride) your wedding invitations and get them sent
- Book a hair and make-up trial
- Go for wedding dress fittings
- Organise gifts for the bridal party, groomsmen, parents, and each other
- Begin writing the wedding speeches
- Have a menu tasting with your caterers
- Order any decorations for your ceremony or reception, including confetti
- Your photographer may send over a digital questionnaire to nail down all the details of your day from start to finish including which group shots you want. You can add any other details or other photo requests.
4 Weeks Before
- Have the final dress fitting
- Organise any final details with suppliers
- Contact any guests who have not RSVPd
- Finish off any DIY projects
- Finalise the table plan and give caterers a final headcount
- Get on those stag and hen dos and let your hair down!
2 Weeks Before
- Head to the salon or barbers and get yourself feeling beautiful
- Send back the photography questionnaire
- Start breaking in those wedding shoes!
1 Week Before
- Pack for your honeymoon if needed
- Get beauty treatments done: eyebrows, massage, wax, etc.
- Take the bridal party through the plan of the day and pass your wedding on to them
- Confirm all bookings and timings with suppliers
- Ensure all invoices are paid
The Day Before
- Take the day off from work and wedding planning, relax, and spend time with friends and family before tomorrow
- Get your nails done in the afternoon to avoid any last-minute chips
- Try to get an early night – it’s almost time to get married!
The Big Day
- The big day is finally here! Don’t worry about the little details, just focus on marrying the person you love. Enjoy the celebration while your photographer captures all the special moments.
A Few Days Later
- Once the dust has settled and the hangovers have subsided, your photographer will send you some sneak peek shots. These photos are perfect for thank you cards, social media posts, and sharing the joy of your marriage.
One Month Later
You will receive all your images in a beautifully presented online gallery, where you can view, download, or even purchase any prints or thank you cards directly from your gallery. You can also purchase your own, one-of-a-kind, fine-art album with all your favourite photos from the day.
And now begins the best part: your next adventure in marriage. If you're still at the beginning of your wedding planning journey and in need of a wedding photographer whose aim is to capture your day in the most compelling way possible, feel free to reach out and fill in your details below for a free online consultation.
Share this story